A vibrant and thriving society providing the chance to meet new people and learn about the rich heritage and culture of Hinduism
Namaste! We are Cambridge University Hindu Cultural Society, one of the largest faith societies at Cambridge University. Established in 1992, we provide a community for all students to practice Hinduism and learn more about our religion.
As a society we have three key aims:
• to create a nurturing and strong community through our social and flagship events, to celebrate the culture of Hinduism and support our members at university
• to educate our members on Hindu Sanskriti and Dharma, promoting our faith and its teachings as well as allow our members to cultivate and explore their Hindu identities, through our learning events and speaker series
• have a positive impact on our local community, practising Sewa and engaging with and helping charitable causes as well as providing accessibility for our members to engage in social service
We have a number of flagship events throughout the year, including:
• Mastana, the largest cultural charity show in East Anglia, which celebrates Hindu culture
• Holi, a colourful festival of paint and community, celebrating the triumph of good over evil
• Garden Party, a chance for our members to enjoy amazing food, a host of activities and the company of our community after a stressful term of exams
• Garba, open to veteran Navratri-goers and newcomers alike for a energising night of dance and music
• Diwali, a celebration of the festival of ights and the New Year after Navratri with dance, food, music and festivities
We also have a number of social events throughout the year to foster a sense of community and companionship, as well as a multitude of talks, classes and SEWA initiatives to further celebrate and educate about our religion.
For example, recently, in collaboration with many South Asian societies at Cambridge University, we ran a fundraiser to support South Asian communities dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic.
We aim to make all of our events as accessible as possible, both physically and spiritually. Our events are all NEMA (No Eggs, Meat or Alcohol), as many access arrangements are made as possible, and we are happy to make any additional arrangements upon request.
Despite being at home for the past term, we have been putting on a variety of online social and learning events. Check out our Facebook page and our term card below!
Become a member to get discounts on all of our events!
Members get reduced prices on tickets for all events. You can be a member for a year or for life.
We are more than a society – we are a family, and we can’t wait to welcome you, regardless of your faith!